Monday 5 February 2018

3 Things That Have Helped Me Love My Curls

I’ve fallen in love with my curly hair after years of hating it, after trying to tame my curls, I think I have finally found the products that help me to both define them and embrace them. The more I wear my natural curls, the more confident I feel in them. I think the initial barrier to break down is unlearning all the things we have been taught about our hair which simply isn't true. It is tidy, manageable and beautiful when you know what to do with it.


OGX Curl Range

If you have read my blog for a while you will know how much of a fan I am of the Organix products. I have tested the majority of their product range at one point or another. One I have repurchased again and again is the Coconut Curls. I feel the shampoo makes my hair feel clean without stripping out the goodness, after washing it feels soft and silky. The product smells amazing, without being overpowering. Although I do question some of the ingredients there are some which have found to really impact the condition of my hair. In the conditioner specifically it is ideal if you live in a city without extreme temperature & humidity (which at times London can be due to the pollution). With extracts of honey & Propylene Glycol, they help maintain moisture balance throughout harsh weather or environments.


After using these products there is another that I use before hoping out the shower and that is the Argan Oil. It has sealing properties which is helps to protect your hair from harmful styling heat and UV damage as it gives greater definition, bounce and shine. This is something I have use consistently throughout my hair routine.

Finally whilst my hair is still damp I use the OGX Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Cream which helps to control the frizz without weighing down my hair. The product is thick, non-sticky and you’ll be happy to know there’s no lingering “product” feel once your hair dries. I’ve tried to many products that leave my hair looking white, that cause build up or flake away once they’ve set and to find one that doesn’t I was instantly sold. I do find it leaves my curls looking defined, hydrated and bouncy for at least two days which is a miracle with all the movement, sleeping and styling it can endure.


Lee Stafford Cork Screw Curler

I’m not going to lie, although my hair is 100% natural in these pictures there are times when my curls do not come out perfect and require a little help. Whether there is a part that isn't sitting right, or they need a touch up in the week, I have found this cork screw curler to be as close to my natural hair as I can get. I tend to mostly go over the curls at the front or ones that are looking a bit flat. This has honestly been a life saver and a real changing factor for me accepting my curls.

CG | Co-Washing Method

I am still relatively new to the curly girl method was invented by Lorraine Massey, which is basically a fancy term for going shampoo free, also known as co-washing which is is short for “conditioner-only washing.” I don’t do this all the time but I have cut down the amount I use and don’t use it for every wash anymore, which is also helpful on the purse. It is supposed to help to give your curls extra moisture, make is smoother and easier to manage. I have been putting it to the test and will be sure to report back with my findings soon. Long story short instead of shampooing you can wash your scalp with conditioner and you condition and style your hair with silicone free and sulfate free products (this helps to get the best effects). Relying solely on conditioner leaves your hair something between squeaky-clean and second-day hair. However I wouldn’t advise using this method alongside the OGX products as they contain Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Dimethicone & Amodimethicone which behaves like Sulphate and in the long term can lead to dryness or build up in your hair over time as there would be nothing to break this down.


Shop The Post:


I hope this helps you love your curls as much as I love mine, let me know how you get on if you use any of my tips!


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Áine Tagon | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Crafted by pipdig