Friday 4 November 2016

Recent Reads

It was a while ago since I did my 'reasons to read' post and I totally forgot to fill you in on what I have been reading. I have to admit there aren't as many as I would like to tell you about (maybe because I just renewed my Netflix) but thought I would share them nonetheless.

In the other post I referred to the book set I borrowed from my friend which was a series of books by Kiera Cass. I read The Selection, The Elite and The One from this set, however I'm aware there is a few others available in the set which I haven't got around to picking up yet. These books started me on my reading journey! I hadn't properly picked up a book in years (other than for study purposes) but this book series had me staying up ridiculously late at night because I couldn't find a moment that was okay to put it down. I loved the storyline surrounding the futuristic lifestyle with your ordinary girl becoming a princess. A love story no doubt but the decision certainly has you changing teams for who you want to win her heart.

From this I moved on to a number of books which are also films. I think it can be exciting when you can see the book come to life, however I can also feel a twinge of disappointment if they leave out my favourite parts or don't do it justice. The first one I read was Still Alice by Lisa Genova, which is about a mother and wife who is diagnosed with early on set dementia. A very touching story, I cried by the poolside with no shame whatsoever. Next in line was Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, another tear jerker. This is actually a more recent release so you might already know what happens, I know lots of people (myself included) who went to see it in the cinema. A synopsis without spoiling the whole story would be Louisa Clark (carer) starts looking after Will Turner after he endures a motorcycle accident and he ends up changing her whole outlook on life. After loving the first one so much I undoubtedly picked up the second, After You.
 Sticking with books that are also films, there is Love, Rosie by Ceceila Ahern. Not your straightforward romantic novel, it has a real sense of humour, its relatable and overall a good read. It had me so frustrated at points I wanted to throw it across the room, a true tale of how love isn't simple, much like life. Finally I actually re-read one of my old favourites, The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. I think now I do fashion I actually envied her role slightly, although I agree Miranda (the boss) was too demanding at times. It is funny how you can read something a second time and look at it in a completely different way! The second book Revenge Wears Prada is more up my street, rumour has it they are thinking of making that a film too!

"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are" - Mason Cooley

I would love to know what you are all reading and if you have any suggestions of ones I might like. I'm hoping to make this a more regular series here on my blog, so hope you've enjoyed it.


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Áine Tagon | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Crafted by pipdig