Monday 15 February 2016

Moday Muse: Amandla Stenberg

 Realised I had kind of forgotten about this series, but at the same time I think it's important that I do it over a long period when someone truly strikes me as special, and that moment/feeling has come round once again in the form of Amandla.


You may already know if you followed my dissertation series that I am passionate about equal opportunities for all. Something which I noted was that Amandla came up in a few times whilst researching. Firstly her video on cultural appropriation sparked controversy but also an important conversation that needed to be brought to everyones attention. This is when I saw her for more than an actress but a role model. Although she is younger (17 year old to be exact) it certainly does not mean she is unwise and I think we could all learn something from what she has to say.

One thing Amandla has done which I highly praise her for is help young black girls realise they are more than the colour of their skin. Racism is something which unfortunately is still present, although there have been improvements in places. I for one have received this first hand and it is something that sticks with you for life. I am very fortunate to have a very loving, strong family who told everyday how beautiful I was and taught to embrace my complexion. I also had gorgeous my sisters who had the so much drive and determination, they were also were a great deterrent for anyone who even considered picking on me. Of course I also had my friends who are accepting and wouldn't have me any other way. What I'm trying to say is some people don't have the support system I have and through her starting the #BlackGirlMagic hashtag she has united a group of girls and shown them what they are capable of. She opened up about her own personal experiences in hope of helping others and that quality is admirable.

This girl also seriously rocks a fro! I honestly wish I looked that cool with my natural hair but she has made me love mine a lot more. I think in a way this also combines as a thank you post not just from me but for my sisters, my nieces and all the girls out there. Thank you for challenging status quo! Her passion for this topic is inspiring and if this is what she is doing now I can't wait for the future.


Image via Pinterest (Beth Turner)
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Áine Tagon | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Crafted by pipdig