Sunday 27 December 2015

My Christmas Day

Christmas is the most magical time of the year and although people say as you get older it looses it special feeling I beg to differ. I thought it would be nice to share my christmas day and family traditions on the big day with you!
As a child I was usually up not able to sleep out of pure excitement, now I have recently started going out with friends for a few drinks on Christmas eve to celebrate. Christmas is a time to spend with the ones you love and it has been harder to see everyone now we are all on different sides of the country or in full time work. This is the one time me and my girls can all get together and just have a catch up on everything but also reflect on the year coming to an end. 

Then before I know it my sister is waking me up because she can't wait any longer to open her presents. You wouldn't believe she is older than me with the way she acts! We take our stockings which have always been placed on our doors to my parents bedroom to open. We sit on the end of their bed and take it in turns to open our stocking gifts. 

By this point our tummies are rumbling and breakfast is on our mind. Some of you may think we are slightly crazy but we sit down and eat before opening any of our presents under the tree. Looking back I'm not sure how my sister and I had so much patience! 
This year we were lucky enough to have my Granny over from Ireland. She was just as excited with it being her first Christmas with my mum since she left home as a young adult. It has to be one of my favourite parts seeing everyone's look on their faces as they open their gifts. I must have been a good girl too as I received more than I could've wished for. You may notice one of them in this post... my mum treated me to that new lens I have been after and I can already see the difference in my photography. My mum for a while has started to hold some presents back for us to open throughout the day so it doesn't loose the excitement which I kind of like and think it is something I will take when I do my own Christmas' in the future.

After that we tend to put out feet up and see what movies on tv are on offer. This year I really wanted to watch Brave (yes it is a disney film, never too old in my eyes) as no-one would come and see it with me in the cinema. Which we watched together and towards the end started dinner, which for most is their favourite part of the day. For me the past few years there has been more and more I can't eat being vegetarian and intolerant to wheat/gluten. Every year I notice how stuck my mum gets to provide something I like and special enough for Christmas, even though I've told her plenty of times not to fuss. 
As you may have noticed Christmas day is also a pyjama day for me and also a chance to let my face breathe. As children we use to go to mass on Christmas day therefore we would have to get dressed into our Sunday best, but now as we spend the day at home I think comfort and elasticated waist lines. It's become essential really, more room for all the food. Fun fact desserts are my favourite part of every meal.

To finish the day my parents danced as my dad played some old school jazz on his new speakers. At the end of the day I can't really be thankful enough for how fortunate I am to have a loving family which is still together and couldn't be happier, but also gratitude for all the wonderful gifts I received from them. It is important to highlight that there are others who may not be as lucky and you can't help but think about them and realise it's not all about the materialistic things and sometimes that the small gestures of love can be so much more rewarding.

What are your christmas traditions? Hope you had a good one!

Share:

1 comment

© Áine Tagon | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Crafted by pipdig