Thursday 27 September 2018

London In The Sky Review

Can we just rewind to the three months ago when this actually happened and just ignore the fact this has been sitting patiently in my drafts ever since. I can help in setting the scene... it was July so much sunnier, much happier (as it was my birthday month) and my sister surprised me with an afternoon tea like never before.

My sister asked me to book a half day at work and to meet her at Waterloo station shortly after lunch time. Situated on the south bank she pointed up in to the sky at three cranes and said "we are going up there". Not sure if what I was feeling was fear or excitement we arrived the recommended 30 minutes prior to our booking. We waited in the marquee for others to arrive and to be seated officially at table three.

The staff were helpful and also allow you to bring camera equipment up with you - which is great for bloggers like me. As we were making our way up to be suspended 100ft in the air above the city I call home they reeled off a few facts about Events in The Sky, including that this crane experience is across 62 countries worldwide. There are 22 people per table which felt the perfect size with three tables in total. We were very lucky to get tickets with it only being available for two weeks in summer. With a variety of options to pick from throughout the day from breakfast to dinner to cocktails with canapés there is something for everyone (who isn't afraid of heights). 

My sister picked the 'G & HIGH TEA' knowing we are both equal lovers of Gin, she was persuaded with the two tea inspired gin cocktails. You could choose from three options, I started with 'A Little Foggy' which was made from No.3 Gin, St-Germain elderflower liqueur, homemade lemon verbena syrup and lemon juice, a fancier version of your typical G&T. Then finished with something more unusual the 'Rule Britannia' made from No.3 Gin, sage syrup, lemon juice, homemade lavender tincture and barrel-aged Earl Grey tea, this was my favourite and don't worry if you don't finish it in the time you are up there you can bring it back to the marquee if you wish.
The drinks were accompanied by light open sandwiches which had chargrilled aubergine with babaganoush and roasted red peppers. The vegetarian option was supposed to also come with keen’s cheddar with red onion marmalade, julienne of Granny Smith apples and rocket wrap however they did not have the full ingredients to complete this. I have to say I was slightly disappointed after the hype regarding their 'unforgettable meal' based menu and executive chefs, admittedly we were rightly compensated for the error. Nonetheless, I did enjoy the delightful savoury and sweet treats. This included a wild mushroom tiny tartlet, lemon tartlet, flower shortbread and cake pop.

For dress code I would advise something comfortable but still smart. I opted for a jersey body, wide leg trousers and a denim jacket and I would not have changed a thing! They use a number of ways to secure you to your seat including three straps so I would definitely recommend trousers to avoid flashing those below and also to ensure you are sitting comfortably. I think a jacket is essential too because even though the weather was beautiful it was much cooler up in the sky - although if its on you can't take it off whilst you are up there so you could also consider wearing a long sleeved top too. There are no bags or other items allowed on the table but can be left securely in the reception cloakroom for when you are safely back on the ground.
Overall it was worth it for the incredible views of London, the table also turns allowing you to see it from lots of different angles and take as many pictures as you like. Let me know what you think if you went or if you are planning to go next year.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Áine Tagon | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Crafted by pipdig