Friday 30 January 2015

Dr Gok - From Catwalk To City Talk

"Fashion is the most powerful industry in the world"
So I thought I would do something a bit different for Aine's Wardrobe, I spend a lot of my time on my blog talking about the clothes, shoes, beauty products I'm loving and often add in little snippets of what I am getting up to in the mist of every post. I must admit lifestyle posts is something I would love to add to my blog but I worry it's not something everyone would be interested in, let me know what you guys think in the comments. Also my life isn't always as amazing as meeting Gok Wan, just in case you were wondering.

Anyway into the post... by chance one of the girls on my course wasn't able to attend and kindly offered me her ticket to attend the talk and boy am I happy I said yes. Turning up I had no idea what to expect from the evening ahead, especially as it was a last minute thing but it surprised all expectations.

Gok openly spoke about how he got to the stage he is today, that being a successful Tv presenter for shows like "How to look good naked", having his very own clothing line and range of glasses, a book on asian cookery and much more. Something I had not realised was all the lows he had been through to get to this point. Suffering from bullying during high school he discussed the impact that had on him. Being called "fat", "faggot" amongst others destroyed his self esteem and put him in a bad place for a long time. Struggling with not fitting in I think is something we can all relate to at some point in our life.

Having to overcome many obstacles like coming out and beating anorexia it wasn't the road to stardom everyone dreams of. One thing he said however is something that really played in my mind over and over even after the talk had finished. He said that all the things they picked on him for is what makes him unique and what played a massive part in him in the job he loves so much. I completely agree sometimes what makes you different is the best thing about you and that's what you take forward to create your selling point.
Something I loved about the atmosphere is that he doesn't feel the need to put anyone down and he is all about making others believe they are beautiful. There was nothing of the sort thinking he knew it all and quiet clearly appreciated and respected everyone as an individual which is something I feel some people in today's society need a lot more of. Gok believe's that "As a stylist I have to enjoy every facet of fashion, be it tracksuits or rock chic, It all has a place in fashion".

That wasn't the only thing though his infectious laugh had me giggling away through out the night as well as flirting with the blushing straight interviewer Mark William-Thomas. And he sassy reply to does he look good naked? Bitch, yes! *inserts diva emoji* (you know the one). Overall such an inspiring night and it was eye-opening in the fact it's not always as perfect as it seems.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Áine Tagon | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Crafted by pipdig